Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Day in the House of Reps - Day Two!


Well, they say no two days are the same in the hallowed halls of Parliament House, and I can attest to that first hand. Having spent the better part of two consecutive days sitting in the Public Gallery in the House of Representatives chamber, there are only three things I can say stayed the same on both days. The pollies coming and going, the press gallery journos coming in for the hour and a half of Question Time and me sitting directly across from Annabel Crabb during Question Time (Whoop Whoop!!). Other than that, my two days could not have been more different – but both equally incredible.

Today the weather was overcast, but still the Parliament building stood tall and proud. Heading straight up the left side of the building and cloaking my bag, electronics, pens and paper I headed into the green chamber once again. Hearing from the Leader of the Opposition Bill Shorten, The Member for Lindsay Fiona Scott, The Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt and others, I could not get over, this is what government and the real workings of parliament look like. Yes there are disagreements, fights, differing of opinion and party lines but at the end of the day it is the elected members, chosen by the electorate that make up the true essence of politics, giving speeches and debating legislation.

After being allowed back into the chamber for Question Time (the public galleries are cleared from 1pm -1.30pm), the public gets to listen to 90 second statements, which seek to bring to light any issues members feel are important. Today they ranged from Cervical Cancer to the Adelaide Heatwave to the Toyota job losses to surf lifesavers. While I have always known they have existed today I found a real appreciation for them, as they allow members to speak on important issues while keeping the reports to concise little bits. I found it an informative exercise and I think that the public should be more aware these statements exist given the overall lacking interest in all things political by the general population.

By golly Question Time was fun! After yesterday’s less than impressive show, I was hesitant to go back and do it all again, but I am so glad I did. On the 6th Anniversary of Former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s sorry speech the House of Reps stood to attention.  After indulgencies from the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition, it was time to get down to business. The sedate boring Question Time was nowhere to be seen, and within the first 15 minutes the topics of job losses, the new rising unemployment rate over 6% and the strength of the economy had all been raised. As well as the heightened use of Standing Order 94A which saw Labor Front Benches, Kate Ellis Member for Adelaide, Anthony Albanese Member for Grayndler and Catherine King Member for Ballarat all booted within the first 15 minutes. 10 Minutes later Mark Dreyfus Member for Isaacs booted, and before the session had ended The Members for Moreton, Gellibrand and Charlton were also forced to vacate the chamber. Although, if I am honest I was quite surprised many more Opposition Members were not booted. A question from the sole Greens Member Adam Bandt, Member for Melbourne, to the Prime Minister today broke the Liberal/National and Labor bickering but not for long. Further exciting the atmosphere, the Member for Kennedy made a late appearance in the Chamber sitting next to Independent Andrew Wilkie.

Having watched many many Question Times live streamed from inside classes, libraries and homes over the years, I find I am conflicted as to whether or not it was better being there in person or live streaming it and being able to converse with people all over the country at the same time. One of the many highlights to my day was sitting next to a man who smuggled a pencil into the chamber and let me borrow it during the session – all I can say is I am glad I was not kicked out!

My two days spent in the House of Representatives was well worth the trip and I seriously cannot wait to do it all over again!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment