Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Best Day Ever!


It began with a bus ride, and ended being one of the best days ever! Flying into the Capital last night, the lights radiating from the flag pole a top Parliament House I knew my trip would be awesome! After walking the clean spacious streets in Canberra City, I finally found the bus I needed and took the scenic route to my destination. The bus drove around the National Portrait Gallery, The National Library, Questacon, The Mint, Old Parliament House until I rolled around to the best building of them all. I still cannot get over the green grass striking even in the distance, and today, the flag hung limp with the lack of wind as I walked up the hill to Parliament House!

Walking into the white building the grandeur still took me by surprise, and in an instant I was in heaven. My first port of call was the cloaking room where I had to give up all electronics, bags, paper and pens (majorly disappointing and depressing!!!) set between the House of Representatives and the Senate before advancing any further. Although it seems like I didn’t do much today I had one of the best days ever. I listened to The Member for Hughes, The Member for Bendigo, The Member for Lyons and many others before the real fun even began. Just being able to sit in the Federation Chamber listening to the proceedings of Parliament, I watched a bill pass through the House of Reps Chamber as well as my local member The Honourable Amanda Rishworth.

Did you know that you have to book to get a seat in the Public Gallery for Question Time? Yeah I know, apparently this thing called Question Time is kinda popular… Seated between an old couple and an even older couple the smile on my face could not be wiped off! While not being able to tweet Question Time nearly killed me, it made me focus and really take in what was going on, AND where everyone sits. Starting at 2 o’clock (instead of 1.30pm when I am at home) the squabble between the Opposition and the Government began. One of the many highlights was seeing Cathy McGowan ask a question to break the Liberal/National and Labor arguing. The usually rowdy House of Reps chamber stayed fairly sedate for what I am used to, and it wasn’t until the 45 minute that ONE Labor Member, Mark Dreyfus was booted out under Standing Order 94A. However, after that much of anything was a bust. I counted 5 divisions before I had to leave, and Question Time was extended for the better part of an hour and a half.

I really cannot decide which part of my day was the best, sitting directly opposite some of the best political writers in the country (ANNABEL CRABB and Laura Tingle) or the fact I experienced a Question in real life. Or the fact I am now the proud owner of the Standing Orders for the House of Representatives. My day was magical and I cannot wait to do it all again tomorrow – with maybe a visit to the Senate as well! Long live Canberra! Long live Parliament! And Yay to the best day ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment