Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hey You!

When I tell people I want to grow up and be a psephologist and that my favourite thing to do is look at political and voting systems and just politics in general, 99.95% of the time I am met with a look of disdain and total horror; but also skepticism at what I could possibly see in the policy makers and representatives who line the walls of Parliament Houses around the country and world. The first 1000 times I laughed and said, well some people have to love it, in the same way some people have to love solving crimes, fixing people, collecting and storing money and run around fields in the name of national sport. But now I am kinda getting annoyed. Why? I mean, yes I may take my obsession a little too seriously (studying politics on holidays and requesting political books/plane tickets to Canberra for my birthday) but nonetheless the institution of Government and electing our Government is a fundamental part of a democratic society, and as such should be celebrated not given eye rolls and put to the back of peoples minds. 

There is a Federal Election Campaign going on in Australia at the moment (no way! I hear you say!), and for most people, the thought of turning their television sets on at the moment, is met with a sense of dread and is a vastly unpopular past time until about the 10th of September. If you are unlucky enough to have momentary lapses in judgement and do turn the television on, you will be met with vision of baby kissing, hard hat and high-vis wearing pollies and pollie-wannabes sucking up and smooth-talking potential voters in anticipation for the next three-ish years. Nothing we did not already know.  Right? Also what we have been told is that young people have turned off, not interested and unavailable for comment, when it comes to voting/elections/politics/policy ... you get my drift. And a year or two a go I might have said, yeah I am in the minority, 6 in my politics class, 20 in my politics lecture, party signup on the decrease blah blah blah. But something strange is going on. . . Young folk are getting converted. Not in plague proportions or anything, so no need to call the police, but I can see something happening.  People who are studying Biochemical Engineering, Animal Science,  Speech Pathology, Radiology and English have started caring who says what, and why and when. They will post a little rant on Facebook, ask a policy question, YouTube a Politicians' most recent speech or borrow a political textbook to find out an answer. Boom! And suddenly my quota of politically literate friends has gone from about -5 to 30. 

Obviously I am not so naive to think that this has no correlation to the fact in less than 3 weeks they will find themselves walking into a polling booth for probably the first time, nor the fact they have been bombarded with political paraphernalia in their newsfeed and letterboxes since halfway through May. When newly re-elected PM KRudd was sworn in, in late June he called on young people to 'come back' stating that he could see why they had turned away but stressed the importance of government in their lives. Well Mr Prime Minister I think they are coming back. Not necessarily in the form of ALP loving, center-left voters that you were hoping for, but they are joining in the national conversation anyway.   My friends vary from right-wing Fascist's to economically conservative but socially progressive to left wing ecological Greenies campaigning for Senator Sarah Hanson-Young. They come from low socio-economic areas and Upper class affluent suburbs and are wanting to contribute. I also have the closet interested political friends, who you would never know could even list the last 3 Prime Ministers much less hold a substantive conversation with, but they are out there.  Watching and absorbing. Ready and waiting for their day to shine. September 7. 

I am not saying that every young person could accurately describe and quote the latest Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Outlook but what I am saying is you probably should not write-off their vote. Most young people will vote above the line in the Senate, vote in accordance with their parents and quite frankly not care 'until the next election' (because that is when I will need a 'real' job and care [no lie!]) but not all. And in the end even 100 votes will not change the outcome of this election but it is a start. Rome was not built in one day, and this election, despite everyone wanting to take the 'moral high ground' will be about slogging the opponent, there are a band of newly educated young people out there who will use the world as their oyster, and September 7 is just the starting place ....    

3 comments:

  1. Very well written once again laura! I totally agree. Myself, I claim to not care, but I know what's going on and I know who I will vote for. I feel excited and scared at the same time that I can vote this year. My opinion is suddenly counted! :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Laura! Your excitement and enthusiasm is catching!
    It's a worry to think many people actually don't know what the boxes they're ticking really mean or what they stand for!
    My hope is that people can understand what they are voting for, regardless of for whom it is. Once you really know what's on offer, vote for what you want and believe in. That's the only way Australia will come out well from this.
    Disasters happen when people vote without thought or on face-value. You have to cut through the illusions of the media with its agenda to find the truth in what's going on.
    I will be watching this space,
    From one of your speechie buddies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Laura, on the views you and other first time voters-to-be presented on ABC TV last night. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and much needed by many of us pondering September 7. We know that yours will be no 'donkey' vote, but a carefully considered one.

      Delete