Monday, February 25, 2013

Thinking is Dangerous!

As dangerous as it sounds, I have been thinking (crazy I know a soon-to-be-student-at-university thinking), about how people say they feel disenfranchised when it comes to politics. I mean, one minute people say things like 'oh that bloody pollie again' and the next they are saying 'it is all crap, nothing means anything anymore' but really is it solely the politicians fault? Now I am not saying either one of us are to blame, but surely it is a two way street. Follow and see...

A voter and a Politician have a symbiotic relationship, they both need each other to survive - kinda. A politician needs voters, their constituency, to stay in power, right? But at the same time, we the common folk need a group of elected people to run and oversee our country. Ok, so maybe technically we don't need ELECTED officials, we could have a Dictatorship or Absolute Monarchy or something, but according to our Constitution we have a 'Federal Parliament' (see Section 1 of the Constitution) and we regularly elect people who are supposed to represent our needs and beliefs.

So going back to basics for those who are confused, my local member in the House of Representatives has the support of at least 51% of the people I live near (in the same electorate). So why then do people feel disenfranchised. They voted didn't they? Their voice was heard wasn't it?

I know my opinion is fairly blunt when it comes to executing your sacred right to vote, but seriously people, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! The 2010 Federal Election saw more of our Politicians than ever before, use social media as well regular media outlets to interact with the community, and this year things the same thing will happen on an even bigger scale. One can never again say, 'I just don't understand it [politics] at all' or 'it doesn't effect me' or 'I'm not sure', with the introduction of mandatory voting in Federal Elections in 1924, it is our responsibility and duty to seek the answers we are searching for! Google'ing Australian Politics leaves you with a plethora of sites, blogs and articles (scholarly and commentary) on the subject, ranging from using the most basic of words right up to nerd territory. And geez, if you are so inept you can't fathom google'ing maybe you should just give up. (joking!!) But if an anti technology Grandma can master Google anyone can (see http://helpmygrandmahasanipad.blogspot.com.au/ for further explanation). My long winded point is, that due to technological advances I don't believe that one can really call themselves disenfranchised when it comes to Australian Politics, or really Politics in general because of the wealth of knowledge available on the subject. For every new policy announcement, one can find the Parliamentary discussion papers, watch Government debate, see Press Conferences and discover all the wonderfully crazy journalists, bloggers and tweeters (I'd call myself 2/3 of those) writing about it as it happens or within 10 minutes!

However, one must remember and be careful of the B word... That's right Bias. The naughty word that seems to be creeping up in the MSM (mainstream media for those not as obsessed as me!) everywhere lately, and I must confess to my own bias. Most of my posts are skewed towards persuading everybody to vote, and to enjoy doing it when they do. The wise words of a woman (hint- Penny Wong -hint) I met last week ring clear in my mind "Politics will be part of your life regardless, so why not be interested!" and I can't agree more. Despite my obvious love, our Federal Politicians are everywhere, on our televisions, on radios, in papers and sometimes in our letterboxes! We can't escape so let us embrace what is really inevitable, and maybe then our Politicians working in this symbiotic relationship will stop the stunts and work with us and together, rather than against themselves for the greater good.

Granted MOST of my peers have better things to do than googling Politicians, political Journalists/ Commentators or watching the news I think it is important to embrace and understand our political system and what is going on rather than relying on parents or caregivers advice on who to vote for come September 14th.

So talk to me haters of all things Political, if you were embrace politics what would be the biggest thing you would struggle with? Maybe people aren't disenfranchised when it comes to politics, maybe my year 11 textbook had it wrong! You never know until you try!

2 comments:

  1. At the age of 21 all Australianhould be made to travel overseas....Imight make them appreciate not only what freedoms we enjoy but also build a desire to fight for them on Election Day.

    ReplyDelete